Monday, October 11, 2010

“We Pay a Person the Complement of Acknowledging His Superiority Whenever We Lie to Him” - Samuel Butler

or the alternative title, “Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!”

As far back as I can remember, I've noticed.  I've noticed people, places, and things.  I've noticed events, actions, and movements.  I've noticed sights, sounds, and colors.  I've noticed faces, expressions, and looks.  And I've noticed truths, half-truths, and inconsistencies.  In sum, I've noticed lies.

This skill, or whatever you'd like to call it, is something that I have never admitted to having and I play down how much I truly notice.  To be honest, I often play dumb because for whatever reason it’s sometimes just easier.  Those who truly know me already know this.  But someone who doesn't know me (or thinks they know me when they really don't) thinks that I can be told a lie and I'll never find out.  Fool.

I'm sure you've already figured out that someone lied to me.  And I'm sure you've already figured out that I knew it was a lie.  You might think that this post is a rant about how angry I am, but it really isn't.  Actually, if I had to quantify my feelings I would say that I'm roughly 30% angry and 70% disappointed.  And if I were to further subdivide the 30% angry portion, it would be 10% angry that this person didn't trust me enough to tell me the truth, 10% angry that this person lied to me about something so trivial, and 10% angry because lying about something that's so easily verified insults my intelligence!  Allow me to explain in graph format:


The disappointment portion is the part that really hurts because I knew this person was lying to me at the time the lie was being told.  On top of that, I’m also disappointed because I was being lied to about something that was so insignificant and unimportant; if this person had told me the truth it wouldn't have mattered one bit.

The disappointment proportion is also made up of some of the same insulting-my-intelligence part that was included in the 30% angry portion.  Why would someone who knows that I'm pretty smart and knows that I'm at least fairly observant think that I wouldn't know I was being lied to?  The obvious answer is that this person wanted to be caught.  But, knowing this person as I do, I really don't think that's the case.  Instead, I think this person was just being lazy and it was easier just to use the first lie that came to mind.  The fact that the truth was so easily verified had nothing to do with choosing the lie.  So, in fact my intelligence was insulted not only because it was a dumb lie to tell because verification was a mouse-click away, but also because this person was too lazy to even try to tell a decent lie to me.

And so my friends, once again my inner battle between having a more positive view of the world (or at least a less negative one) and the belief that people suck was made more difficult. 

But soon after the above disappointing event, I met someone whose gentleness and humility has helped make that positive view of the world so much easier to see...


Free Website Counter
Free Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment