Thursday, April 23, 2009

“There Are Those People Who Really Touch Your Life”

or the alternative title, “Saying Good-Bye Sucks So I Refuse To Do It”

When I walked into work yesterday morning, I had no idea that I was going to have to say good-bye to someone about whom I care so much. You see, one of the partners I worked with for the past seven plus years (I’ll call him “K”) announced that yesterday was going to be his last day. We had known that he was going to be leaving because of . . . well, let’s just say we knew that he was leaving and it wasn’t under ideal circumstances. But it still was a shock and one of the saddest days I’ve had here at work.

K was always more than just a partner that I worked for – he was always a true friend. We went through some of the craziest times and the craziest cases during the last seven years. Through all of the frustration and stress, and yes, sometimes anger, we still managed to eventually smile and laugh again. Ultimately, it made us closer and it made us better friends. All of that made yesterday so much more difficult.

I have no intention of letting K slip out of my life, and I’m thrilled to know that he’s excited about his next move. I also try to take comfort in knowing that our paths will always be intertwined as we go on with our lives and careers. But the pain and sadness still creep in like a fog. That’s inevitable. For now I’m going to take a stance and say that I’m not really willing to say ‘good-bye.’ I am, however, willing to say ‘see you later’ because I guarantee that we will always be friends.

Thank you K, for touching my life. I’m a better person for having the opportunity to know you and your family. I’ll see you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment