Friday, April 10, 2009

"There's A Spring In My Step Today"


or the alternative title: "I Had A Great Night's Sleep - Thanks Noel Coward"


Something happens when you do something on a worknight that was enjoyable. Whether it was a good movie, a nice dinner with some friends, or whatever, there's something that happens when you have a great experience but still have to wake up early the next morning to get to work.

That's exactly what happened to me last night. Barbara (my retired neighbor who's like a second Mom to me) and I went to see our other neighbor, Michael, in High Spirits at the Eureka Theatre here in the City. It's the musical version of Noel Coward's Blithe Spirit, and just plain funny in a wonderfully macabre way.

My dinner with Barbara was wonderful as usual (thanks again Orale Orale), and the show was fun and whimsical and completely enjoyable. I laughed the entire time.

Now, to be honest, I tend to be a little overcritical when I see shows, but this even surprised me. It's obviously an old theater complete with missing ceiling tiles and frayed carpets, but that didn't matter. And despite my usual pet peeve that I can't stand Americans trying to do British accents, they pulled it off pretty well. Michael truly had me believing for two and a half hours that he was a British straight man - Bravo! My only regret is that this was one of the show's last performances, and I would have loved to have brought my Mom to see it. She would have laughed out loud - which doesn't always happen.

The fact that I didn't get to sleep until midnight didn't really matter when my alarm went off at dark o'clock this morning because there's a certain contentment that carries over from a fun night the night before. I'm now at work, and I'm ready to do some legal stuff with energy and that sense of fun still lingering.

So, thank you to the cast and crew of High Spirits, and even though you're dead, thank you too Mr. Coward.

No comments:

Post a Comment